Zucchini and summer squash skillet bake is a rustic summer dish, filling enough to be served as an entree or the perfect side-dish.
Okay guys, I really did enjoy “watching” my neighbors garden last week aka picking everything that was ready, but HOLY COW. I could NEVER own a huge garden. Every single day there was SO much to pick. My fridge was exploding with zucchini, summer squash, peppers and green beans. Don’t get me wrong, that’s awesome, but it was almost too much! I had to take loads to my coworkers and B’s family! I spent so much time canning and I STILL have more squash to use in the fridge.
This dish though, this is the perfect way to use up those delicious summer veggies in a hearty and healthy one pan meal.
Zucchini’s and summer squash are so versatile. You can grill em’, bake em’, roast em’, spiralize em’, fry em’, etc. They truly are the “comfort food” of summer. They’re low in calories but high in fiber which helps fill you right up.
You’d think for a dish full of all veggies (with only a little bacon and cheese) that you’d still be hungry after. Nope, this fills you right up!
- 1 lb zucchini & 1 lb summer squash cut into 1/4" slices
- 2 large onions-sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 organic roma tomatoes- chopped
- 6 slices of bacon- chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add EVOO.
- Add onions and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add bacon and cook for 4 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes, Italian seasoning and cumin seeds and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove half of the tomato bacon sauce and set aside.
- Layer some of the sliced zucchinis and summer squash over the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Layer with the rest of the tomato sauce. Then zucchini and summer squash.
- Then sprinkle with the remaining cheddar and Parmesan cheese.
- Season with a touch of black pepper and sea salt.
- Bake in the over for 45 minutes.