Nothing says summer like strawberry rhubarb muffins. This flavorful combination is a wonderful way to kick off the morning.
For those of you celebrating this holiday with friends, family and loved ones, here is a great recipe to kick-off the summer! Strawberries and rhubarb are in season now and make a tasty combination! The sweetness of the strawberries evens out the tart flavor of rhubarb. This recipe is also considered “low-fat” with the use of applesauce to replace oil and soy milk instead of 2% milk. Make this for brunch, a family picnic or an afternoon snack!
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 & 1/2 cup diced rhubarb
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 & 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 & 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soy milk (can use almond or regular)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, mix well.
- Line muffin tin with muffin cups & spray with organic non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 way full with batter.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Makes around 15 medium-sized muffins.