An easy classic Japanese Ramen soup with a healthier spin by adding kale and using homemade broth. The organic pork meatballs adds a fun dimension to the toppings as well!
You guys… why didn’t anyone ever tell me about the satisfaction and pure happiness that comes with making homemade ramen soup?! This isn’t your college dorm room kind.. which believe me, I’ve had that plenty of times. This is good, healthy, soul-warming soup that’s perfect for a chilly winter night or to cure those winter sniffles! It’s PACKED full of nutrients and fuel food to give your body the healthy energy it needs this time of year.
The key to a good ramen soup is found in the broth. Homemade broth is the best bet however, not all of us have time to make that. So try your best to find organic, low sodium broth that’s made fresh and with REAL ingredients. The next best things about Japanese ramen soup are the toppings. It’s traditionally topped with a soft boiled egg and a variety of things from pork, seaweed, bean sprouts, etc. I decided to change mine up a bit by adding some organic pork meatballs with dried seaweed pieces and kept with the tradition of a soft boiled egg.
The next key ingredient I added was chopped kale to the hearty broth. This adds an extra does of nutrition as well as some color and dimension to the broth to make it really pop!
Not only is making this dish super fun but so is eating it! You have so many flavorful options to choose from it may be hard to decide where you should take your first bite!
- 1 16oz package of organic ground pork
- 1 diced scallion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced scallion
- 1 tsp. ground ginger (or 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger)
- 4 cups homemade or organic beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 1 packaged dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kale
- Soft boile egg (1/2 per serving)
- Sesame Dried Seaweed (handful per serving)
- Add all meatball ingredients into a bowl and mix together using your hands.
- Heat some EVOO in a large skillet on the stove.
- Roll the meatballs into small 1 tbsp. size balls.
- Cook in the skillet turning over every so often.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of coconut oil in a stock pot on the stove.
- Add in the garlic, shallots and ginger.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in homemade broth or organic store-bought broth.
- Add in mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add in kale and ramen noodles.
- Cook for 4 more minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Ladle out the noodles & mushrooms.
- Pour the broth over the top.
- Add cooked meatballs, a soft boiled egg and dried seaweed to the top. Or whatever toppings you desire!