Cheesy quinoa stuffed tomatoes are a rustic taste of summer that’s bursting with flavor and nutrition!
Okay, number 1, where have grilled tomatoes been all my life? Number 2, where have grilled stuffed tomatoes been?! Talk about a taste of summer!
Forget stuffed peppers. This is the next best thing to change up the typical dinner routine. There’s not much to them and they’re super easy to put together! For the best flavor make sure to visit your local farmers market and pick up some fresh tomatoes, heirloom if you’re lucky enough to find them!
If you opt for smaller, roma tomatoes, you can make these as a simple appetizer. And if you want to get even smaller, these would work for large cherry tomatoes as a “one bite appetizer”. There truly are so many options!
- 5 medium fresh tomatoes (heirloom, vine or roma tomatoes work)
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Sea Salt
- In a medium stock pot, add quinoa and water and bring to a boil.
- Turn to simmer once boiling and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Turn off heat and add cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Mix together. Season with a touch of black pepper and sea salt.
- Using a sharp knife to carefully cut the top of the tomatoes off then scoop the insides out with a spoon.
- Scoop the quinoa mixture and stuffed into the tomatoes.
- Make sure it is packed down.
- Sprinkle the top with a little more Parmesan cheese.
- Coat a grill pan with EVOO and drizzle a little EVOO over the top of the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes on a grill pan and place on a hot grill.
- Grill for 15 minutes or until tomatoes are cooked.